Medical Laboratory Technician-(Full Time)
HOURS: Full-time, 6:00am-6pm, Day Shift
Days: Friday, Saturday, and Sunday
POSITION SUMMARY: Under the leadership of the Manager, Clinical Laboratory, the Medical Laboratory Technician is an active member of the department that provides pathology and laboratory studies and analysis for the medical and nursing staff. The Medical Laboratory Technician prepares specimens for tests according to test protocols, records, and reports test results, and performs and records quality control checks and tests.
• Graduation from high school and subsequent to graduation has obtained two years’ experience in a clinical laboratory or a hospital, a health department, university, or medical research institution providing equivalent training and/or experience acceptable to the Department of Health, Welfare, and Education.
• Complete 5 DCH continual education units per year.
• Complete DCH annual training.
• Prefer up to one year of work-related experience in a hospital but not required.
• Microbiology experience preferred but not required.
• Requires and maintains a Medical Laboratory Technician certification from the ASCP, AMT, NCS, AAB or other approved agencies by the department.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Prepares specimens for tests according to test protocols. Conducts Laboratory tests and analysis on specimens according to established laboratory testing procedures.
• Performs and records quality control checks and tests to accurately calibrate testing equipment.
• Ensures the accuracy of all tests prior to releasing results and follows department policies for test results that require corrective actions.
• Generates uncollected and holdover logs throughout the workday and ensures the completion of ordered test results.
• Records and reports test results, enters test outcomes, and contacts medical/nursing personnel to report critical or "stat" results.
• Assists with instrument and equipment maintenance and quality control procedures.
• Troubleshoots equipment and/or procedures under the direction of a Technologist or Director.
• Maintains inventory levels of laboratory supplies, prepares solutions and reagents, and transports specimens to the laboratory for testing.
• Maintains work area in a clean and orderly condition.
• Follows universal precautions for the safe work practices involving the proper handling of specimens, decontamination procedures and participation in safety in-services.
• May be required to cover any shift to maintain adequate coverage under the supervision of a Medical Technologist.
• Complies with all safety and infection control policies and practices.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Shift : Day